A Flash Bang is a device which looks similar to a grenade that is commonly used by police SWAT teams throughout much of the world. Unlike traditional grenades a Flash Bang is a non-lethal device which is used when police are required to enter a building or home by force. The Flash Bang is activated and then thrown into a room before the police enter. The device explodes with an extremely powerful percussion and a blinding flash of light. The actual explosion is very weak, but the loud noise and bright light it creates temporarily blinds and disorients anyone exposed to it. Such devices can be made for personal use and mischief by teens with too much time on their hands, but they also have another legitimate use. Homemade Flash Bangs are used for special effects during amateur theatrical productions. Often their purpose is to misdirect the attention of the spectators so rapid changes on stage can be done unnoticed. Here is a guide on how to make your own Flash Bang.
Things You'll Need:
- Fountain Fireworks
- Utility Knife
- Heavy Tissues or Paper Towels
- Needle Nose Pliers
- Plastic Cup
- Step 1
Begin by slicing open the top of your fountain firework with the utility knife. Be careful not to cut the fuse accidentally since you want it to be intact as long as possible.
- Step 2
Pull the wick free from the top of the fountain, and set it aside.
- Step 3
Use the needle nose pliers to pull the paper and cardboard in the top of the fountain tube. Pour the contents of the tube into your cup. It should be an ounce or two of various colored dry powders. This is typically a combination of gunpowder and other minerals which create the colors of the fireworks.
- Step 4
Use the toothpick to stir the powder thoroughly, and break up any packed chunks. It should all be a fine, uniform consistency.
- Step 5
Push the fuse through the center of your tissue and lay the tissue out flat, Keep the fuse pointed down.
- Step 6
Pour the powder onto the tissue and wrap the tissue around the powder. This creates a tight ball.
- Step 7
Tie the string around the ends of the Flash Bang to hold the fuse in place and keep the tissue closed. You’ve completed making your Flash Bang. Be extremely careful with it, and keep it far from the reach of children and other people.Tips & Warnings
- Make sure you only use the fountain type of firework. Try buying several and experimenting with them before setting them off in any theatrical production.
- Use extreme caution when handling all of these substances. Remember you are working with gunpowder and other highly flammable substances.
- Don’t let the powder come into contact with your hands as the residue could ignite accidentally.
- Never leave an open flame or sparking object near the Flash Bang during its construction and prior to its use.
- Use extreme caution when making and using a flash bang. Seriously injury can result from any misstep.